FLINT (WJRT) (11/17/2017) - A gas valve left on inside a science classroom appears to be the cause of recurring natural gas odors that closed the International Academy of Flint for four days this year.
The school was evacuated on Monday because of the smell, but classes resumed about an hour later. The school then closed Tuesday and Wednesday to Consumer's Energy crews could scour the school for the source with specialized equipment.
Administrators on Thursday admitted the source of the odor was a natural gas valve that wasn't closed inside a science classroom. The valve was closed and the school's superintendent said students will receive additional safety instruction.