FLINT (WJRT) (1/8/2018) - Hiring is about to get under way for hundreds of positions at Lear Corp.'s new automotive seating plant in Flint.
The company is working with Mott Community College Workforce Development to host the first hiring fair for the facility from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Jan. 17 at the Regional Technology Center on the college's main Flint campus.
“Lear is hiring for permanent positions in the Flint area,” said Robert Matthews, associate vice president for workforce and economic development. “This is a great opportunity for people seeking full-time employment.”
Lear, which is a major supplier to General Motors, has been constructing a 156,000-square-foot plant since October on 33 acres of the former Buick City site off East Hamilton Avenue.
The plant, which will supply seats to General Motors' Truck Assembly facility in Flint, is scheduled to open with about 430 positions by April. It should employ about 600 workers at full capacity by 2019.
Lear is offering entry level pay of $13.85 per hour, with second shift incentives of an additional $0.30 per hour, annual pay increases and low cost benefits on the first calendar day of the month after 90 days of employment, according to a press release.
Required qualifications for any position include:
• A high school diploma or GED.
• Flexibility with scheduling and the availability to work first and second shift.
• Must be available to work overtime as required.
• Must be able to stand for eight to 10 hour shifts.
• Must successfully complete a pre-employment skills test. Once hired must pass a physical demands test, drug screen and required to undergo pre-employment background check.
• Bring an updated resume to the job fair.
Applicants at the job fair should be dressed appropriately in professional attire and are encouraged to bring several copies of their resumes.
MCC’s Workforce Development will provide the pre-employment training required for all applicants.
For more information about the job fair, call Kathleen LaVallier at 810-232-4672 or at Kathleen.firstname.lastname@example.org.