MTA responds to shooting at Flint transfer station

By  | 

FLINT (WJRT) (12/4/2017) - "We feel terrible about it happening. And, what happened in the building, what people were exposed to, the family involved. So deeply sad by it all," said MTA Flint's General Manager Ed Benning.

Around 8:30 p.m. Friday night, Flint Police said 31-year-old Clevis Bassett was killed after being shot multiple times inside the MTA Transfer station at Harrison and Second Street.

"I can only tell you that it was between two people that had an altercation. Some kind of confrontation that had been going on for days," Benning expained.

He said this wasn't a random act.

"When these things happen, sometimes they can happen anywhere and it's just; it's unfortunate that it took place in a building where we have 20,000 people going through that building," he added.

Benning says the company spends a lot of money on security officers and they were inside the terminal when the shooting happened Friday.

"I would hope that people are not overly concerned about their safety going through the building because we have a massive security presence and police presence in the building," he explained. And, we think we have one of the safest places in the community for people to go through."

Regardless, Benning said they'll be evaluating their response and learn from it moving forward.

He explained, "We always use these opportunities to look, to see if there's something we may have missed, or something that we do differently; but you know, we live in a society today that is very dangerous."

Flint Police are handling the investigation. It's not clear yet when the suspect in custody will be formally charged.

We'll keep you updated as we learn more.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus