FLINT TOWNSHIP (WJRT) - (01/01/2018) - Firefighters say a woman is OK after escaping a fire at her Flint Township home Tuesday morning with the help of a neighbor.
Firefighters are calling the man a hero after he pulled a woman in her 70s to safety from her burning home in the 2100 block of Bernice Avenue near Corunna Road around 7 a.m. Tuesday.
The neighbor smelled smoke, called 911 and ran to the woman's door after realizing her house was on fire. He banged on the door until the woman awoke.
Firefighters say the woman got out safely, but was taken to an area hospital for treatment of back pain after falling down outside.
The fire caused extensive damage to the roof and kitchen area. Investigators had no immediate word on what sparked the fire.