Veterinarian: If you aren't drinking Flint water, your pets shouldn't be either

By  | 

FLINT (WJRT) - (09/28/15) - Flint's water worries aren't just affecting people.

Some veterinarians have a warning for pet owners in Flint.

If you aren't drinking Flint water, your pets shouldn't be either.

"Pets are ingesting the same water we do. They are more susceptible because they have smaller body mass. It would be wise to, if you aren't drinking your water, give them bottled water," said Dr. Wendy Woodard, of the Mayfair Veterinary Clinic.

Woodard said the Mayfair Veterinary Clinic tests for lead poisoning.

They have seen their fair share of cases recently.

While they can't pin it on the Flint water supply, they're warning pet owners to be aware.

There are some tell-tale signs of lead poisoning in pets, like vomiting, constipation, diarrhea and lack of appetite. Woodard says it can cause some other serious problems, too, like hysterical barking and seizures.

Woodard admits bottled water brings some added costs on the front end, but it could prevent higher medical bills down the road.

If you think your pet is showing signs of lead poisoning, she recommends getting a blood test right away.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus