(8/2/11) - Soon hundreds of thousands of people will be in Genesee County for the seventh annual Back to the Bricks car show. Tuesday, several police agencies joined together to introduce this year's task force.
Over the course of five days, Back to the Bricks draws the largest crowd of any event in Genesee County.
According to Task Force Commander Lieutenant Tom Osterholzer, their top priority is making sure everyone is safe. "This year, over the five-day event, we expect to be pushing probably close to 500 thousand spectators and participants."
The task force is made up of 15 area police agencies, including Michigan State Police, FBI and Flint Area Narcotics Group (FANG). They will be patrolling the streets during the rolling cruise along with other events during the week.
This year, the task force will be present during the "Tune-Up" party's, which are hosted at various locations the week before Back to the Bricks.
Like last year, a zero tolerance policy will be in enforced. "When we say zero tolerance, we are talking to any of the activities that have the potential to danger other spectators or participants; tire burnouts, reckless driving, careless driving, drag racing and of course the consumption of alcohol," Osterholzer said.
Funding for the task force comes free of charge to tax payers. The community of mental health has awarded the group a grant to help pay for the patrols.
Al Hatch, Back to the Bricks founder, says public safety is vital to the success of the event. "We really feel blessed that happened. We do not want to put any of the communities into a financial bind because of the success of the Back to the Bricks."
ABC12 Main Station