ABC12 Investigates: Child abuse leaves a 3-year-old boy fighting - ABC 12 – WJRT – Flint, MI

ABC12 Investigates: Child abuse leaves a 3-year-old boy fighting for his life alone

Posted: Updated:

(11/15/12) - The mother of a Flint toddler, badly beaten and clinging to life, has been charged with one count of first degree child abuse.

23-year-old Aleesha Wyatt was charged Thursday. She was arrested Wednesday night.

Her son, 3-year-old Jordin Parkes, was brought to the hospital Nov. 1 and is still in critical condition.

"He is unresponsive now only to the point where he might move his fingers and raise his arm once in awhile," explained Michigan State Police Detective Tpr. Robert Dunham.  

Dunham is the officer assigned to the case. He detailed the boy's condition to 68th District Court Judge M. Cathy Dowd when seeking the warrant for Wyatt Thursday morning. 

"She attempted to blame the injuries of the child onto a biological father," Dunham said.

They were injuries that had left Jordin Parkes unresponsive, unconscious and in surgery.

The boy's biological father?

"I found out the next day. Did not even live in the state of Michigan," Dunham told Dowd. 

Dunham said Wyatt, when questioned further, admitted she knew about the abuse and did participate in some of it. 

Police believe her live-in boyfriend, Robert Martin III, was the main abuser and that his actions led to Jordin's hospitalization. Dunham said Martin indicated Wyatt beat the boy too - that she whipped him with a belt.

"She would "light him up" with a belt because he had wet himself in the morning," Dunham said. "The doctors claim the injuries, to the child, have been over a long period prior to his hospitalization on Nov 1."

Martin and Wyatt now both face one charge of first degree child abuse. Martin was arraigned Nov 6. A court hearing for him, scheduled Thursday, was adjourned so both of their cases can proceed at the same time.

Both remain in the Genesee County Jail. Wyatt is pregnant.

Jordin remains in very rough shape.

"He's not responding to any type of visual stimulus. Part of his skull was removed to allow the swelling of the brain to take place," Dunham said.

Wyatt was arraigned by 68th District Court Judge Herman Marable Thursday afternoon.  Marable set bond at $50,000.

Martin's bond had been set at $300,000 when he was arraigned by 68th District Court Judge Tracy Collier-Nix last week. 

Martin and Wyatt have another court hearing scheduled later this month.

Powered by WorldNow

ABC12 Main Station

Mailing Address:
2302 Lapeer Road
Flint, Michigan 48503

Powered by 

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WJRT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.