(11/20/12) - A five-year-old Mid-Michigan girl was obviously paying attention when fire safety was discussed in class.
Her quick thinking later when fire broke out in her home saved her life.
Lily Ondovcsik is rather shy and modest. She didn't want to talk a lot about how well she reacted in the early morning of Nov. 3. That's when she awoke to find her bedroom filled with smoke and flames.
"We had heard the smoke alarm and you think to yourself, 'Is that really a smoke alarm?' I heard her scream for Dad," said Lily's father, Dustin Ondovcsik.
The fire started in a gas grill. Lily's room is on the other side of the wall. The flames climbed the wall and got into the ceiling.
"When I went into her room, she had stayed low. The room was filled with smoke and she had stayed low," Dustin said.
Coincidently, Lily had brought home a packet on fire safety from school just the day before.
"We actually decided to practice it and go through the plan so we knew exactly what to do in that situation," said Lily's mother, Kathy Ondovcsik.
And that wasn't the only right move Lily made when the fire broke out.
"One thing I knew not to do is hide in my closet or hide under my bed. You can never hide when there's a fire," Lily said.
The home on Lake Ponemah was destroyed, but the whole family got out safely. The Fenton Fire Department gave Lily an award for bravery and for keeping a cool head.
"Here's something that's good that can come out of it, that they put together their plan. They were able to get out safely and get to their common meeting place," said Marshall Colley with the Fenton Fire Department.
"We were as prepared as we could be," Kathy said.
"It's a game of seconds," Dustin said. "The preparation makes all the difference in the world."
This Thanksgiving, Lily has one big thing she's grateful for.
"God helped me get out of a fire safely," she said.
ABC12 Main Station