3 people die in house fire, including baby girl - ABC 12 – WJRT – Flint, MI

3 people die in house fire, including baby girl

Posted: Updated:
BAD AXE (WJRT) -

(11/22/12) - A Thanksgiving tragedy: A mother, her baby girl and their roommate don't make it out alive after their apartment goes up in flames.

The fire started just after 11 Wednesday night on South Van Dyke Road in Bad Axe - in Huron County.

A small memorial already sits on the steps of apartment 10. Abreeona Perkins would have been one year old next month.

"Sweet little girl, couldn't ask for a better baby," said a family friend.

Thick smoke and intense flames were too much for the little girl, her mother, 23-year-old Melissa Perkins, and their roommate 23-year-old Audrey Hogan.

"Rough day because Audrey, Melissa and the baby were all going to go over for Audrey's mother for Thanksgiving at 4 o'clock," said Glen Rogers, Audrey's uncle.

The Michigan State Police fire investigator said the fire started in a bedroom. The cause isn't known yet, but he can't rule out careless smoking.

Bad Axe Police Chief David Rothe said the women were well known in the small community. "It's sad to see, especially with the holidays coming to have this type of accident."

"They were really good-hearted, they loved to be social and around other people. We have a good saying around here, only the good go young and that's so true," said a family friend.

Autopsy results reveal they died from smoke inhalation. Authorities are awaiting toxicology reports.

Powered by WorldNow

abc12.com

ABC12 Main Station
810-233-3130

Mailing Address:
2302 Lapeer Road
Flint, Michigan 48503

Powered by 

WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WJRT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.