Police: Flint family died from carbon monoxide poisoning - ABC 12 – WJRT – Flint, MI

Police: Flint family died from carbon monoxide poisoning

Posted: Updated:
FLINT (WJRT) -

(12/27/12) - Flint Police say preliminary tests show a family of three, found Christmas morning, died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Eleven-year-old Jayson Cobbin, his mother, 37-year-old Selena Carranza, and her husband, 43-year-old LeTroy Edwards, were found motionless and not breathing about 6:15 a.m.  All three were pronounced dead by 7 a.m.

A fund has been set up at Serenity Funeral Chapel, in Mt. Morris Township, to help pay for their funerals.  All three services will be held there, but arrangements are still being made.

Three teddy bears and a balloon bearing their names now sits on the front porch of their East Foss Avenue home.  Police say four others were in the home, but in another part of it.  They survived.

Relatives gathered outside of the home Christmas morning not to celebrate, but to mourn.  

Flint Police and a crew from Consumers Energy returned Thursday to test the boiler system.

Police say it shows unacceptable levels of carbon monoxide.

Consumers Energy Spokesman Dan Bishop says the crew red tagged it and the heating system is not to be used as is.  Bishop says this is a tragic example of the importance of having your furnace inspected by a qualified contractor each year. 

Consumers Energy spokesman Jeff Holyfield said Wednesday there was no record of any service calls to the address and nothing in the system to suggest there was a problem previously.

Police say there were no carbon monoxide detectors in the home.

"You never believe it would happen until it happens to you," says relative Delano Philpots.

Philpots says Edwards was like a father to Carranza's son Jayson. They were a family and now their families are planning their funerals and trying to figure out how to pay for it all.

Carranza was a longtime Meijer employee, Philpots says.

Jayson was a Beecher student who loved football.

"Jayson was an amazing child. He had a little entrepreneur in him," Philpots says.

He had a lemonade stand set up at Saginaw and Foss one summer.  "(I) bought a cup from him.  I paid $5, but it was worth it to see him smile," he says.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Bay City man arrested in Internet harassment case

    Bay City man arrested in Internet harassment case

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 6:22 PM EDT2014-08-19 22:22:52 GMT
    The woman said Chad Monroe wanted some of his property back, and when he didn't get what he thought was rightfully his, police say he began a scary social media campaign of threats and harassment.
    The woman said Chad Monroe wanted some of his property back, and when he didn't get what he thought was rightfully his, police say he began a scary social media campaign of threats and harassment.
  • Crime Stoppers increases reward for missing Flint woman

    Crime Stoppers increases reward for missing Flint woman

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 10:17 AM EDT2014-08-20 14:17:32 GMT
    Crime Stoppers has increased the reward for any information on the disappearance of a young Flint woman.
    Crime Stoppers has increased the reward for any information on the disappearance of a young Flint woman.
  • Flint city council public works committee has busy evening

    Flint city council public works committee has busy evening

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 11:23 PM EDT2014-08-20 03:23:58 GMT
    (8/19/14) The Public Works Committee of the Flint City Council usually doesn't get a lot of attention. But recent events in the city have put the spotlight on the members.We have been following the eviction situation at Glen Acre Estates in Flint since it happened two weeks ago today. 28 families were evicted from their apartments after the owner of the complex failed to pay water bills. That forced the City of Flint to condemn them for not having running water. All 28 families are now out of...
    (8/19/14) The Public Works Committee of the Flint City Council usually doesn't get a lot of attention. But recent events in the city have put the spotlight on the members.We have been following the eviction situation at Glen Acre Estates in Flint since it happened two weeks ago today. 28 families were evicted from their apartments after the owner of the complex failed to pay water bills. That forced the City of Flint to condemn them for not having running water. All 28 families are now out of...
Powered by WorldNow

abc12.com

ABC12 Main Station
810-233-3130

Mailing Address:
2302 Lapeer Road
Flint, Michigan 48503

Powered by 

WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WJRT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.