(12/27/12) - A house explosion in Genesee County that has displaced an entire family.
A family of six was burned out of their home on Center Road near Vienna - in Genesee County's Thetford Township.
Luckily, the family was not home during the explosion, but for a short time, there was panic as neighbors first thought the homeowners' four kids were inside.
Teena and Norman Jacobson live next to the home that was destroyed by the fire.
"When you have a fire that that's big of a magnitude, you just kind of worry. We did everything we could for them," Teena said. "It spread so fast."
As the flames spread through the home, the Jacobsons were frantically trying to track down the four kids that live inside the home.
"We knew they weren't home, but we wanted to make sure the kids weren't home," Teena said.
"We were concerned for everybody's safety," Norman said.
Norman stood outside the home yelling for the kids while Teena called their parent's cell phone. She felt relief when she learned all of them were together - away at a holiday celebration.
"She told us no one was home, so it eased my mind a little bit," she said.
"In a matter of minutes, the garage was gone, within 5 minutes, it was all destroyed," Norman said.
You can see the fire started in the garage, possibly triggered by an explosion of some sort - but a cause will take a while to determine.
Now the family of six is without a home during the holidays.
They'll get through it, they're a tough family, they'll get through it," Teena said.
Six fire departments helped put the fire out. It started around 10:45 p.m. and firefighters were on the scene until 2 a.m. Thursday.
ABC12 Main Station