3 convicted in carjacking, murder get life in prison - ABC 12 – WJRT – Flint, MI

3 convicted in carjacking, murder get life in prison

Posted: Updated:

(05/23/13) - It's life in prison for three people convicted in the carjacking and murder of Leslie Mills, in Flint Township, in March of 2012.

A fourth suspect was also sentenced Thursday, but received probation as part of a plea agreement with prosecutors.

Leslie's husband, Kevin Mills, addressed each one of them telling heart-warming stories about her - wanting them to know who they murdered.

James Horn, Nancy Johnson and Matthew Riselay were sentenced to spend the rest of their lives in prison. That was a mandatory sentence for shooters Johnson and Riselay convicted of first degree murder, but Horn could have received less time for his second degree murder conviction.  Each was also convicted of carjacking and gun charges. 

Police allege Horn provided the gun, so they could use it to steal a car, because he needed a car to deliver drugs.  Investigators say Johnson and Riselay were to get drugs in exchange for stealing a car.

Phillip Eason received four years probation in two cases - one related to Leslie Mills' murder.  The other was a previous drug charge.  Eason was sentenced for both as part of his plea agreement with prosecutors.

Eason hid the gun used to kill Leslie, pleaded to an accessory after the fact charge and testified during the trials.

During their sentencing hearings, Kevin highlighted a few instances of Leslie helping others, even people she didn't know, saying they killed the kind of person people should strive to be.

She was gassing up, at a Corunna Road gas station, on her way home from work the night she was murdered.  She had let Johnson use her cell phone.  Police say Riselay fired once, dropped the gun and that Johnson picked it up and kept shooting.  Leslie was pushed out of her car and left to die as they drove away, according to police.

"I'm satisfied with the fact that now I can move on and kind of put them out of my mind. Unfortunately myself, our family and friends, none of us ever get to put behind the fact that she's not with us anymore and that's the part we get to focus on now. And for that, I'm very happy," Kevin said.

Riselay, Horn and Eason did make statements during their hearings, Thursday.

"I would just like to say I'm sorry," Riselay said.  Eason also apologized to Kevin,  Mills' family, the court and even his co-defendants and their families.

Horn denied responsibility and pointed the finger at Riselay.

"There wasn't nothing I could do when he had a gun in his hand. My heart goes to the family," Horn said.

Johnson said nothing. Kevin says there's nothing she could have said past what already came out during her trial.

"Today was about trying to send a message that this kind of behavior won't be tolerated," Kevin said. "It wasn't a gun that killed my wife. It was the person using it. We have to start holding those people responsible for the crimes they commit when they use a gun."

Kevin thanked the prosecutors and the Flint Township Police Department for working hard on his wife's case.

Powered by WorldNow


ABC12 Main Station

Mailing Address:
2302 Lapeer Road
Flint, Michigan 48503

Powered by 

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WJRT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.