Flushing Twp. Police: Deadly fire likely started near Christmas - ABC 12 – WJRT – Flint, MI

Flushing Twp. Police: Deadly fire likely started near Christmas lights, decorations

Posted: Updated:
  • Flushing Twp. Police: Deadly fire likely started near Christmas lights, decorationsMore>>

  • Two people killed in Flushing Township fire

    Two people killed in Flushing Township fire

    Monday, December 2 2013 11:30 AM EST2013-12-02 16:30:27 GMT
    (11/30/13) - A Michigan State Police fire marshal tells us he's been called in to investigate a fire.A person's body was found inside a home on Apple Blossom Lane Saturday morning. That's in Flushing Township.We
    Two people were killed in a house fire in Flushing Township Saturday morning.
FLUSHING TOWNSHIP (WJRT) -

(12/02/13) - Flushing Township Police say the fire that killed husband and wife Michael and Michele Behan likely started in the back family room, where Christmas lights and decorations had just been set up.

Michigan State Police continue to investigate. There are no signs of foul play, according to a press release from Flushing Township Police.

"She loved Christmas and family," said Laura Behan, Michael's sister. "Nothing she loved more than having her kids around her. Both of them did. They had Christmas Eve at their house every year."

Behan said Michele, or Shelly as they called her, had tried a new Pinterest project on their artificial tree. There were fabric bows near the lights. The family decorated Friday.

The Behan's home, in the 8500 block of Apple Blossom Lane, was fully engulfed when officers arrived around 7:15 Saturday morning. They tried to get inside, but couldn't because of the flames.

Fire departments from Flushing, Swartz Creek and Montrose responded and assisted in extinguishing the fire. Firefighters discovered the couple in the home.

State Police Fire Investigator Spl/Sgt. Lenny Jaskulka said there were smoke alarms in the home, but fire crews didn't hear they going off when they got there.

"We don't know if they weren't working or what happened," Behan said.

It is believed both succumbed to the smoke, according to the press release.

Their adult son lived at the home with them, but had spent the night somewhere else, according to Behan. 

Their daughter was married in August at the same church they were married in, in 1977.

Behan said the couple had just fixed up their home and was looking forward to relaxing and enjoying life.

Michael had served in the Air Force and had a career in marketing. He was 65.

Michele was a teacher with Flint Community Schools and had also retired. She worked with hearing impaired students. Michele was 61.

"We were all together on Thanksgiving. It was a wonderful Thanksgiving, so we got that," Behan said. "We're all going to really miss them a lot."

A fund has been set up to help them pay for funeral expenses. See it HERE.

Fire investigators want you to be very careful as you decorate for the holiday season.  Don't overload the outlets and make sure your smoke detectors are working.

Powered by WorldNow

abc12.com

ABC12 Main Station
810-233-3130

Mailing Address:
2302 Lapeer Road
Flint, Michigan 48503

Powered by 

WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WJRT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.