Hit a pothole on a state trunkline? You may be able to file - ABC 12 – WJRT – Flint, MI

Hit a pothole on a state trunkline? You may be able to file a claim.

Posted: Updated:

(02/13/14) - The slight warm up we've experienced, unfortunately, means you will likely see more potholes popping up.

It can be hard to avoid them and costly to repair the damage they cause.

There is a way to try and recover the cost to damage done on state trunklines - that's freeways like I-69, US-23 and areas like M-54 or Dort Highway.

The Michigan Department of Transportation's website outlines the claim process. See that HERE.

The state will only consider paying beyond what wasn't covered by your insurance company.  Additionally, the state must have been aware of the pothole, that caused the damage, for 30 days without repairing it.

Claims must be submitted to the region or Transportation Service Center - or TSC - office where the damages occurred.

There are separate processes for claims less and more than $1,000. You need proper documentation, like copies of car repair estimates or actual bills, to support your claim.

Powered by WorldNow


ABC12 Main Station

Mailing Address:
2302 Lapeer Road
Flint, Michigan 48503

Powered by 

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WJRT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.