Two boys, injured in deadly, Flint Township fire, still hospital - ABC 12 – WJRT – Flint, MI

Two boys, injured in deadly, Flint Township fire, still hospitalized

Posted: Updated:
FLINT TOWNSHIP (WJRT) -

(02/28/14) - Two, young boys, badly injured in a fire that left their mother dead, remain in the hospital.

The fire was at their home in Flint Township, in the 1100 block of Lask St,. early Wednesday morning.

Twenty-nine-year-old Tiffany Dorman died.

As we've reported, her boyfriend, 24-year-old Charles Hughes, who is also the father of the younger boy, busted out a window to try and rescue the trio.

"I climbed in and there was Abel and Nicholas on the floor," Hughes says.

Hughes doesn't want to hear the word hero.

"I handed them (the boys) out to my friend and brought them over to my aunt's house," he says.

And that's where's Charles has been staying, just a few doors down, since he was released from the hospital. He was in bad shape too.

Charles was working, nearly five miles away, and was not at home when the fire took over the garage and spread into the home.

"She called me at 11:36 p.m., told me she was going to bed and I get a phone call at 1:20 a.m. and it's just the smoke alarms going off," he says. "That's all I could hear in the background."

He and co-workers rushed right over.

"My friend broke down the front door," he says. "I went in two times in the front door. Ten seconds each time and I couldn't go any longer."

He couldn't reach his girlfriend of six years.

"That call saved them boys' lives," he says.

The children, Abel is two and Nicholas is 11, are in critical, but stable condition, Hughes says.

"I'm thankful for everybody that has helped out, all the prayers. It's really needed and appreciated."

Huhges says his employer, Gabriel Management, has set up a new home for him and the kids.

Friends and family members quickly started accepting donations. View the website HERE.

Donations also can be made in Dorman's name at any FirstMerit bank branch.

A state police fire investigator has determined the fire started from "careless discard of smoking materials" in the garage, but not necessarily a cigarette.

Hughes says they did smoke cigarettes in the garage to keep it away from the kids.

 

Powered by WorldNow

abc12.com

ABC12 Main Station
810-233-3130

Mailing Address:
2302 Lapeer Road
Flint, Michigan 48503

Powered by 

WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WJRT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.