Lawmakers weigh in on proposed military budget cuts - ABC 12 – WJRT – Flint, MI

Lawmakers weigh in on proposed military budget cuts

Posted: Updated:
  • Politics and ElectionsMore>>

  • Bay City pastor prays before Congress

    Bay City pastor prays before Congress

    Friday, July 25 2014 6:13 PM EDT2014-07-25 22:13:39 GMT
    The world is in chaos: planes are under fire, thousands are dying in bitter wars overseas and political leaders are constantly at odds.
    The world is in chaos: planes are under fire, thousands are dying in bitter wars overseas and political leaders are constantly at odds.
  • Lawmakers talk immigration, yet again

    Lawmakers talk immigration, yet again

    Thursday, July 24 2014 4:53 PM EDT2014-07-24 20:53:03 GMT
    (07/24/2014) Nearly 60,000 South American children are still stuck at our nation’s southern border, and now, they’re stuck in the middle of a political battle. Members of Congress are trying to come up with a plan to deal with the influx of unaccompanied children who have traveled thousands of miles - turning themselves in to U.S. authorities to escape from desperate situations in countries like El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala. But still –there’s no compromise in sight. “For those tha...
    (07/24/2014) Nearly 60,000 South American children are still stuck at our nation’s southern border, and now, they’re stuck in the middle of a political battle. Members of Congress are trying to come up with a plan to deal with the influx of unaccompanied children who have traveled thousands of miles - turning themselves in to U.S. authorities to escape from desperate situations in countries like El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala. But still –there’s no compromise in sight. “For those tha...
  • Skies still safe after MH17 disaster, lawmakers say

    Skies still safe after MH17 disaster, lawmakers say

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 11:25 AM EDT2014-07-23 15:25:06 GMT
    On Tuesday, the Federal Aviation Administration canceled flights to Tel Aviv, Israel after a rocket landed too close to the airport. This latest news comes off the heels of downed Malaysian Airlines Flight 17.
    On Tuesday, the Federal Aviation Administration canceled flights to Tel Aviv, Israel after a rocket landed too close to the airport. This latest news comes off the heels of downed Malaysian Airlines Flight 17.
WASHINGTON, D.C. (WJRT) -

(03/04/14) - Could the US Military soon downsize to its smallest numbers since before World War II? Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel recently proposed billions of dollars in military budget cuts that would decrease the current size of the military and take spending from forces weapons programs.

Rep. Candice Miller (R-MI) does not support the idea. She says it would negatively affect the country and Michigan.

"Completely eliminating all of the A-10 squadrons in the inventory which includes a squadron, the 127th, the Michigan Red Devils, at Selfridge Air National Guard Base," she said.

She's not alone. Miller's Republican colleague, Rep. Mike Kelly (R-Pa), also thinks the cuts would be devastating.

"I think it's very dangerous," he said. "I think it's irresponsible. And especially when we send our kids, they're in the uniform, they're the 1 percent that's protecting the other 99 percent of the American people, why would you ever do that to them?"

The proposed cuts would save the United States billions of dollars in spending, but would greatly reduce the current size of the military. Rep. Dan Kildee (D-MI) says, at this point, cuts aren't necessarily a bad thing.

"For too long, we've been funding a defense department that no general has asked for, that no president has suggested we need," he said.

He says many threats to US safety have changed – and we need to put more focus on non-state terrorism and cyber threats.

"If what Secretary Hagel is proposing, and I presume this is the case, is to right-size the Defense department so that it's something we can afford, but is better positioned to deal with the real threats we currently face," Kildee said, "then I think it's a step in the right direction."

Rep. Marcy Kaptur (D-OH) agrees there are areas in the defense budget where cuts can be made, but says it's important to find the right balance to lower the deficit, but keep the American people safe. She says there are just some areas of the defense budget that absolutely cannot be touched.

"We have not damaged military pay or retirement cost of living or military health care, we can't do that," said. "We have to take care of those who have defended this nation."

Powered by WorldNow

abc12.com

ABC12 Main Station
810-233-3130

Mailing Address:
2302 Lapeer Road
Flint, Michigan 48503

Powered by 

WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WJRT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.