(03/07/14) - Dozens of Consumers Energy customers in Bay City are without heat after a water
main break caused a natural gas line to rupture Thursday night on Janes, near
"We've been out here all night," said Mary Kulis, of Consumers Energy.
There is no signs of crews here stopping any time soon.
"It's going to be several hours yet," Kulis said.
They did make progress - they've already fixed the broken water main. Now, the focus shifts to the gas main.
"Once we make the repairs to the gas main, we still have to get the water that's in the main right now pumped out before we can actually get the service restored to the customers," Kulis said.
Meantime, those customers are in the cold.
"About 100 customers that don't have heat right now," Kulis said.
Bay County Emergency Management designated the Community Center as a warming shelter for those affected. It is located on John F. Kennedy Drive
"So citizens that are impacted by the gas main break, if they need a place to get a little bit warm, they can head on over to the Community Center," said Ryan Manz, Bay County Emergency Management.
This incident is the latest for Consumers in a long string of problems caused by this winter's brutal force.
"It's been a tough winter- certainly it's tough on our crews, it's tough on our infrastructure- and yes, we will be very happy when spring comes around," Kulis said.
Consumers Energy says the gas main has now been repaired, but workers still have to pump more water out of the line.
Then, crews will have to go door-to-door to individually re-light furnaces in the neighborhood. A County Emergency Management official says Consumers is still trying to contact some of those residents to make sure someone will be there to let the workers in.
There's still no estimate on how long all of that will take.
ABC12 Main Station