CLIO (WJRT) -
(04/21/14) - A fire broke out in a warehouse filled with 500 propane tanks - and a daycare full of children just 150 yards away.
That's what firefighters faced Monday morning in Clio.
Just after 9 a.m., a fire started inside a building filled with 500 propane bottles. It's located about 150 yards away from a daycare center, where nearly 200 children were playing.
The fire started in a sandblasting unit in the warehouse.
The Clio Fire Department is located nearby, and firefighters quickly attacked the flames, but seeing the potential for explosions, police and firefighters ordered the evacuation of nearby Peyton's Learning Place.
Daycare workers put infants into strollers and cribs. Those who could walk, followed workers away from the building and out to a waiting bus parked 300 yards away near M-57.
The fire was held to one area of the warehouse and caused no structural damage.
The Clio Firefighters were assisted by crews from Montrose and Mt. Morris City.
For about 45 minutes, the children waited until given the all clear.
"We started the evacuation procedures where all the kids were out of the building. We also started a reverse 911 call for a mile radius just in case something happened," said Rick Witham, Clio police chief.
Police and fire officials say they made the right decision to order the evacuation of the daycare because of the potential dangers.
"I called everyone I knew and freaked out at first. And then they wouldn't let me down here, so it was even scarier," said mother Samantha Mercier.
No one was injured.
Clio Firefighters train for propane situations, so this wasn't something totally new to them.