Jury reaches verdict in Saginaw pre-prom shooting trial - ABC 12 – WJRT – Flint, MI

Jury reaches verdict in Saginaw pre-prom shooting trial

Posted: Updated:
SAGINAW (WJRT) - (06/27/14) - After three weeks of testimony, arguing and hours of deliberation, a jury has reached a verdict on the Saginaw pre-prom shooting that took 17-year-old Tonquinisha McKinley's life. Three of the four defendants have been found guilty of second-degree murder.

The jury found Evellis McGhee, Karon Thomas and Isaiah Clark all guilty.

Keon Bowens, the fourth defendant, has been found not guilty of any of the charges against him in connection to the May 23, 2013 shooting. He spent 13 months in jail. His attorney, Edwin Johnson III, says Bowens turned himself into police last year after they put a warrant out for his arrest for the crime.

Johnson argued in court the only thing authorities were holding against Bowens was a testimony from one witness who wavered on what she saw the day of the deadly shooting.

The trail consisted of three long weeks of testimony, arguing and then hours of deliberation. When the verdict was read, Bowens family erupted in emotion, praying, crying and hugging one another. Bowens attorney says it nearly brought him to tears as well. 

Sentencing is scheduled for Aug. 13.
Powered by WorldNow

abc12.com

ABC12 Main Station
810-233-3130

Mailing Address:
2302 Lapeer Road
Flint, Michigan 48503

Powered by 

WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WJRT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.