Operation Care program begins for Fourth of July weekend
MID-MICHIGAN (WJRT) -
(07/02/14) - AAA of Michigan says travel is expected to increase by two and a half percent in the state this holiday weekend.
Those drivers are going to see more police cruisers on the road as well. With a number of travelers hitting the roads that we haven't seen in years, there will be plenty of extra eyes on them, hoping to make it a safe holiday weekend.
The Operation Care program started on Tuesday. It ends this Sunday at midnight and involves Michigan State Police.
Officers will look for all types of traffic violations, especially DUI's, seatbelt violations and speeders. There's also going to be an extended version of the Fourth of July crackdown, which will last for the next two weeks.
The campaign is known as the 'Night Patrol 4th of July Drunk Driving Program.'
Lt. Brian Cole, with the Michigan State Police, says this is part of a statewide Fourth of July drunken driving crackdown initiative. It involves 150 agencies, including local police, the sheriff's department and MSP.
Twenty-six counties will be a part of this, including Saginaw and Genesee.
According to the office of Highways Safety Planning, there were 115 motorist arrested for drunken driving during last year's Fourth of July drunken driving crackdown.
There were also 19 traffic deaths, and more than 40 percent of those deaths involved alcohol.
"We want everybody to be safe. We don't want to lose any lives, and unfortunately when people make the decision to drink and drive or speed, a lot of lives are lost and we want to prevent that, which is why these programs are critical," said Lt. Brian Cole, with the Michigan State Police.