FLINT (WJRT) -
(07/02/14) - Just in time for the fireworks, a new 6 p.m. curfew for minors has been put in place in Flint.
Police Chief James Tolbert laid out the new curfew, specifically for special events.
These new restrictions will be put to the test starting Thursday, and parents of those under 17 violators could pay a $250 fine.
As you can imagine, the new time is getting mixed reviews.
"Young people aren't going to think much of it, but it may have a positive outlook if things are done right," said Pastor Keith O'Neal, of Good Samaritan Network.
"I think its just a little immature," said 16-year-old Ashley Johnson.
As you might have guessed, the under 17 crowd isn't too fond of the new curfew, but Flint Police Chief James Tolbert said, "The whole purpose of the special curfew is to foster an atmosphere of family engagement."
O'Neal is one of many on board with the curfew.
"Young people from the beginning of time have been known to get into trouble, and sometimes when they get into large groups, they make poor decisions," he said.
If you plan to make poor decisions past curfew, it is going to cost you.
"Rest assured, we are poised in the event that we have violators that they will be detained and their parents will be issued a ticket," Tolbert said.
While the Chief didn't elaborate on a specific reason for the new time, two teen girls passing out curfew fliers on Wednesday explained what they saw at the fireworks last year.
"I also saw like a lot of fights, people just throwing stuff and being ignorant," Ashley said.
This is the reason many will welcome the curfew.
"I don't know that it will create the perfect family atmosphere, but I do know one thing - there won't be a lot of sad parents two to three days afterwards saying goodbye to kids at funerals," O'Neal said.
Tolbert said the new curfew will be seen at other special events in the city of Flint, including Back to the Bricks.