Police confirm body found after standoff is Daron Gaylor Jr. - ABC 12 – WJRT – Flint, MI

Police confirm body found after standoff is Daron Gaylor Jr.

Posted: Updated:
FLINT (WJRT) - (07/10/14) - A state trooper was and a man was killed after police stormed a home on Flint's north side, Wednesday, looking for a man suspected in two recent murders.

Police confirmed, Thursday, it was Daron Gaylor Jr. who died in the stand-off on Sherman Avenue. Police have not yet released how he died.

He was wanted in connection to the June 2 murder or Ali McZick and wanted for questioning in the July 5 murder of Tyrell Gaylor, who is Daron's cousin.

The standoff began around 10:30 a.m. The SWAT team used a battering ram along with what appeared to be tear gas to try to coax Gaylor out of the home. They also played a message from his mother.

"All I heard was, 'Daron Gaylor, will you come out with your hands up?" said neighbor Fashana Skinner said.

When that didn't work, they went inside.

At around 5 p.m., shots were fired at the home by SWAT team members. Flint Police Chief James Tolbert says the shots were fired by SWAT team members when Gaylor fired at police. An officer was hit and was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

"There was entry made and that is when the troopers encountered the armed subject inside. He fired at the troopers and the troopers returned the fire," Tolbert said.

The shootout played out in front of a large crowd that gathered to watch, including Gaylor's mother.

Skinner says a K-9 unit went into the home and couldn't find him. She says they then figured out he was hiding in the attic, and that's when the shooting started.

"The dog was barking. They knew someone was in there. When they came up the basement, they pointed up, that's when it went down," she said. "He started shooting first, then they started shooting."

At around 10 p.m., investigators used an excavator to tear apart the home.

"Equipment to remove the roof so they could see inside," Tolbert said.

They were then able to get inside the home, where they found Gaylor's body in the attic.

Skinner says it was hard to watch all this happen.

"They brought his body out. It was sad. I feel for the family. I feel like they didn't have to do him like that, they should've did something else, it's just a crying shame," she said.

We spoke with Gaylor's mother, Thursday, when she stopped to look at the home.

Denise Rankin needed to take a closer look at the house where her son died.

"I just love my son. I hope he's resting in heaven now," she said.

Rankin wishes she could've spoken to him before the shooting started.

"He had ADHD, Bipolar, he scared of the police. Please let me talk to him, he'll listen to me, no, they didn't want to listen to me," she said.

She says they recorded her voice and played it for him to hear.

Now, she's left with more questions than answers.

"You just going to tear peoples' houses down? That's not right. I don't feel that's right. They killed my son, now I have a loss," she said.

We have also learned there has been an arrest connected to the stand-off. Tolbert confirms Gaylor's girlfriend has been arrested. Police tell us she was living there when the shootout happened. We do not have an update on her status.
Powered by WorldNow


ABC12 Main Station

Mailing Address:
2302 Lapeer Road
Flint, Michigan 48503

Powered by 

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WJRT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.