GENESEE COUNTY (WJRT) -
(09/02/14) - Packages of moldy mini doughnuts have been found at several Flint area convenience stores.
Certain packages of Hostess Brand powder sugar Donettes were found sitting on store shelves with visible mold.
ABC12 News worked to find out why these tainted treats are still on store shelves.
One of our crews opened a package up Tuesday afternoon and they said they smell terrible and you could visibly see the mold.
It started Tuesday morning when an ABC12 News viewer said that she bought a package on Labor Day and actually bit into the Donettes before noticing they were bad.
She said not only were they covered in mold, but they smelled terrible.
She bought them at a BP gas station in Flint Township. ABC12 News also found them at a nearby Shell gas station.
The manager of that Shell station made a call to their distributor, Better Made.
They said they got the notice Friday, but if we hadn't of let the manager know, she says they likely wouldn't have been pulled until the Better Made distributor came back on Thursday.
We talked to Hostess on Tuesday and they released this statement:
"We have been made aware of some instances of mold or an off smell in packages of Donettes and have determined the issue was likely caused by high moisture levels and excessive summer heat and humidity. We have no evidence to suggest there are any significant health concerns, but due to quality issues, we are working with our retail partners to have them remove packages of Donettes with specific production codes that may have been affected."
We have not had the mold tested to know what kind it is, but Lisa Treiber from MSU Extension said there are good molds out there, but people with certain allergies and respiratory conditions are at risk even around good mold.
Treiber says to inspect your food before eating it. She says if you find mold on food where it shouldn't be, there is one rule of thumb.
"Really no one should eat mold. It's just not recommended," she said.