Genesee County gets $12+ million for rental assistance

Tenants can apply for up to 15 months of help paying leases, along with some utility bills
Published: Apr. 14, 2021 at 12:55 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

FLINT, Mich. (WJRT) - Renters in Genesee County who are behind on their payments can apply for a share of over $12 million of assistance.

Genesee County Community Action Resource Department received the federal funds to help tenants who are unable to pay for housing and face eviction due to hardships caused by the coronavirus pandemic. The money comes from the COVID Emergency Rental Assistance program.

”There’s tons of people who found themselves in need who have never been in these situations before,” said Stephanie Howard, executive director for the Genesee County Community Action Resource Department.

The program aims to prevent evictions while making sure landlords can recoup past due payments. Evictions are prohibited in many cases across the United States until June.

“We are always in the midst of any crisis that’s going on we are there hands on boots to the ground as people say we are hands on trying to always assist during a crisis,” Howard said.

Renters can apply for up to 12 months of unpaid lease payments and up to three months of future assistance for a total of 15 months. Some households also may qualify for help paying electric, heat, water, sewer and trash bills not covered in their monthly lease payments.

Renters must have an income less than 80% of the average for Genesee County to qualify. Qualifying coronavirus pandemic hardships include loss of work, reduction in income or any financial hardship caused by COVID-19.

Renters also must be facing eviction, at risk of homelessness or have a past due utility bill to qualify for funding.

“They would probably qualify if anyone has been experiencing any kind of COVID-related hardship since March of last year,” Howard said. “And that’s very important is that this does kind of start from March of 2020, when the pandemic kind of really came into full effect and started to affect our community as far as shutdowns and things like that.”

Applications can be picked up at the GCCARD headquarters or downloaded from this state website. They can be emailed back to or submitted in person by appointment only.

Completed submissions must include applications from the landlord and the tenant. Click here for copies of both forms from the Michigan State Housing Development Authority.

Call 810-768-4675 to set an appointment with GCCARD or for more information about the program.

“We are ready to start spending these dollars,” Howard said.

Copyright 2021 WJRT. All rights reserved.