Alleged serial rapist arraigned on 27 more charges involving three victims
(10/9/2018) - The Flint man believed to be a serial rapist faced a judge for arraignment Tuesday morning to hear 27 more charges involving three of six victims read against him.
So far, Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton has accused 60-year-old Gilbert Conway of kidnapping and sexually assaulting six women. But Leyton believes there could be dozens or hundreds more.
Conway appeared by video from the Genesee County Jail for Tuesday's hearing. Including the 27 felony charges added Tuesday, Conway now is facing 77 felonies.
The three cases added Tuesday are connected to separate women who have come forward accusing him of kidnapping and raping them. Court documents show the incidents occurred in 2009, 2011 and 2016.
The other three cases pending against Conway involve alleged rapes in 2010, 2011 and 2018.
After Conway was arrested in July, Leyton said the Flint Police Department searched the suspect's home and found nearly 500 video tapes. Detectives are now working to review what's on them.
"Each one of those hi8 tapes runs at least eight hours," Leyton said. "We believe from looking at some of the hi8 tapes that there are additional victims being sexually assaulted while being videotaped and we want to be able to look at those video tapes and hopefully identify these additional victims."
He is not sure how far back the alleged crime spree goes. Anyone who believes they may be a victim of rape is urged to call police immediately.