Position: Assignment Editor
Reports to: News Director
Submitted by: Denise Killian
Position Available: Immediate
ABOUT GRAY TELEVISION:
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve.
Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 91 television markets including the first or second highest rated television station in 85 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
For more than 60 years, ABC12 has been part of the Mid-Michigan community. Being called a leader in the industry is a responsibility and commitment we take seriously.
Providing breaking news of the day and keeping our viewers informed before, during and after severe weather is our commitment day in and day out. Reaching beyond the traditional news of the day, ABC12 is humbled to be the media partner for several events throughout the year benefiting the community we call home.
If you are looking for a place to grow your career, find an opportunity to make a change or challenge your skills, the award winning team of ABC12 could be the perfect home for you too.
WJRT-TV/ABC12, the Gray Media Group owned, ABC-affiliate in Flint, Michigan is seeking an individual for the Assignment Editor position.
Do you live, eat and breathe news? Are you always in-the-know before everyone else? Are you competitive and determined to be not only first, but right? Do you dream of multi-colored planning calendars? Ready to take the lead for a staff of proven journalists? We want to talk to you.
The Assignment Editor assists in overseeing the news/content gathering on-air and online. Lead content gathering on a daily basis. Work hand-in-hand with Producers/Reporters in gathering/disseminating content in daily newscasts / online. Oversee field crews & helps to mentor/coach them daily. Strong news background required. Work with Producers to help them organize and assemble the coverage plan for the day and the future. Research, develop, and assign news stories and help lead the assignment desk. Monitoring police/fire scanners as well as news tips.
• Work with Reporters/Producers to produce compelling and creative coverage on-air and online.
• Assist in making calls to news sources as needed, gaining appropriate and actionable information.
• Assist in finding stories with emphasis on brand points.
• Manage Reporters and their daily assignments.
• Coordinate severe weather and breaking news coverage.
• Prioritize, organize, and produce newscasts
• Responsible for writing clearly, concisely and conversationally
• Must maintain working knowledge of current events, community issues, and extensive list of local contacts
• Research and brainstorm story ideas and articulate the ideas so that others understand your vision for the story
• Capable of accurate video editing with an eye for visual elements and graphics that make stories understandable to the viewer
• Act as a leader in facilitating teamwork of staff members working on the newscasts
• Able to quickly, accurately and calmly handle decision-making process during the on-air process
• Engage viewers using social media
• Work/assist with planning of staffing and logistics to cover daily news and special projects
• Work with news management to determine which stories to air during evening newscast Communicate assignments and station changes between crews in the field and newsroom
• Communicate with the web staff during breaking news
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned
• Write news stories
• Monitor competition’s shows and websites for missed leads
• 2+ yrs News Management with Bachelor's in Journalism
• Broadcast or Newspaper experience of at least three years is strongly preferred, this is not an entry level position.
• Ability to communicate clearly in writing or orally with accuracy /Possess working knowledge of television technology.
• Ability to stay current with national and local news/weather.
• Understanding of and ability to follow and enforce the journalistic code of ethics / Willingness to work flexible hours and possess ability to work well with co-workers / Strong news judgment.
• Must maintain professional appearance.
• Responds to breaking events and other urgent newsrooms situations as required.
• Works closely with the team to develop comprehensive coverage.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Demonstrate solid news judgment.
• Maintain strong journalistic ethics.
• Knowledge of newsroom software.
• Knowledge of web posting software.
• Strong research skills, including online research using various search engines.
• Ability to remain positive and foster a positive work environment; work well with co-workers.
• Handle and adjust to last-minute changes.
• Demonstrate leadership through training and mentoring less experienced staff members; guide others to get the desired outcome.
• Ability to work under extreme deadline pressure and respond to late changes (be fluid).
• Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere and behaving in a manner that will work well with co-workers, supervisors and viewers.
• Possess and maintain a valid driver's license with a good driving record.
Please apply online at www.gray.tv/applynow
*******NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE*****
This is a full time position. The position includes a highly competitive compensation and benefit package which includes Paid Time Off, Medical, Dental, Vision, and life insurance. The company also offers a 401k plan with company match to plan for the long term. Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license in good standing. Must have a reliable source of transportation and be flexible on hours.
Disclaimer: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and key responsibilities and essential duties of work performance by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees to do this job. The job description is not an employment contract. Our company reserves the right to modify job duties or job descriptions at any time.
Additional Info: Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray Television’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.