FBI investigator: Ftouhi tried to buy guns, cased Bishop airport before attack

By  | 

FLINT (WJRT) (11/9/2018) - The FBI says Amor Ftouhi spent a day driving around the Detroit area trying to buy guns before allegedly stabbing an officer at Bishop International Airport.

According to testimony on Friday, Ftouhi arrived in Genesee County two days before the stabbing and cased the airport for two hours on the day before the attack.

FBI Special Agent Todd Reineck, who was the lead investigator on the case, pulled data from Ftouhi’s GPS device found in his van, his Google search records and surveillance footage.

Ftouhi entered the U.S. on June 16 in New York and drove to Michigan.

Reineck and other witness testimony on Friday indicates Ftouhi went to the Gibraltar Trade Center in Mt. Clemens on June 18. He was attempting to buy an assault rifle that could shoot 30 rounds before re-loading.

A worker testified that Ftouhi couldn’t buy the gun because he’s Canadian. Ftouhi tried to buy another gun at a Walmart in Chesterfield Township, but an employee there testified that he denied the sale for the same reason.

The FBI says Ftouhi then briefly went to Guns & Stuff Inc. in Clinton Township before stopping at a McDonald’s restaurant for an hour, where Reineck says Ftouhi searched “how to buy a gun," "want to buy a gun without a background check" and "private gun sale no questions asked” on the internet.

Reineck said Ftouhi then stopped at one final firearms store before going to two Meijer stores. At one of them, he wired more than $1,000 to his wife back in Canada.

Reineck said Ftouhi arrived in Genesee County the next day on June 19 and surveillance footage shows on June 20 he spent two hours casing Bishop International Airport.

While at the airport, he made one final Google search of an Arabic term that pointed to the 27th day of Ramadan, a day when Allah gives special consideration to those who perform acts for God.

The following day on June 21, police say Ftouhi returned and stabbed Lt. Jeff Neville in the neck with a large knife and attempted to kill him. Ftouhi allegedly shouted "Allahu Akbar," an Arabic phrase translated as "Glory to God," immediately after the stabbing.

He is facing three charges, including committing an act of terrorism, which carries a sentence of up to life in prison.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus