FLINT TOWNSHIP (WJRT) (11/07/2017) - Students were evacuated from the Genesee Intermediate School District Transition Center in Flint Township on Tuesday due to a possible gas leak.
The school is located on the south end of the Furniture Row Shopping Center at 3136 S. Linden Road. Students were loaded onto buses parked in front on the Kohls store on the other end of the shopping center just before 3 p.m.
The Flint Township police and fire departments went through the building looking for the source of a natural gas odor. They determined the source of the odor was a small leak around the boiler.
Staff members were allowed back into the building about 30 minutes after the evacuation. Students were sent home.
No injuries or illnesses were reported due to the odor. The fire department credited the school for performing a perfect evacuation during the incident.
The Transition Center is an extended academic year program for students with moderate cognitive impairments.