Florists warn of flowers that can be poisonous to animals

GRAND BLANC, Mich. (WJRT) - Millions of flowers are sold on Valentine's Day, but there are some that can be deadly for your pets.

"We had people lined up outside before we even opened," says Libbie Conley with Vogt's Flowers in Grand Blanc.

One of this locations most popular bouquets is filled with rose and lilies, known to be poisonous for animals.

"They don't even have to eat that much, from what I understand it can just be from a few stems or leaves from it," says Conley.

It's not just the plant itself that can make your cat or dog sick.

"The water is pretty toxic to them too," she says. "If you spill it or they spill it, it is easier for them to get into it."

According to poison control, symptoms will depends on how much was ingested. They start to show through vomiting and diarrhea.

While lilies are not as deadly for dogs, if a cat ingests the petals or water it can leave them with kidney failure.

"I would just keep them up and out of the way and that's probably the best advice I can give," says Conley.

Poison control recommends not purchasing lilies if you do own animals and if you do suspect they have ingested some of the flower you should take them to a vet right away.