Genesee Power Station employee dies in workplace accident
(6/18/2018) - An employee died in an industrial accident at the Genesee Power Station last week.
CMS Energy, which owns the facility, released a statement Monday confirming 25-year-old Travis Wilson died on the job. The circumstances leading to his death were not released.
CMS is the parent company of Consumers Energy, which provides electric and natural gas service to much of Mid-Michigan.
"While we mourn this loss, we are assisting plant colleagues with grief counseling and will work with investigators to understand the events that led to this tragic incident," said CMS Energy spokesman Roger Morganstern. "Our hearts and deepest sympathies go out to the employee’s family and friends."
The Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating the death.
The Genesee Power Station at 5310 N. Dort Highway burns waste wood from pallets, crates and other sources to generate electricity. The plant burns a small amount of tires with the wood, as well.