Trash strewn inside led to Saginaw home being condemned before deadly fire

SAGINAW (WJRT) - (02/14/18) - A second family member has died following a fast-moving fire Monday night in Saginaw.

Michigan State Police said a mother and daughter lost their lives after the fire in the 1700 block of Wood Street.

Adair Smithpeters, 71, died Wednesday morning. Her daughter, 41-year-old Melissa Shook, died shortly after Saginaw firefighters pulled her from the home on the city's west side.

They lived with Smithpeters' 38-year-old son in the rental home. He was not hurt in the fire.

Michigan State Police fire investigators are working to find the cause and origin of the fire.

It appears the fire started in the front of the home, but the cause is undetermined. The investigation is ongoing and there could be more testing done on materials from inside the home, as well as additional interviews.

Clutter inside the home is making the investigation challenging. It's also the reason a Saginaw city inspector condemned the home hours before it caught fire.

John Stemple, Saginaw's director of neighborhood services and inspections, said there was trash and other debris throughout the home.

"If you continue to throw trash on the floor, pretty soon it gets deep and it causes issues. It was everywhere in the house, so that was the big thing which causes concern for us," Stemple said. "It causes a huge fire load, which causes the time to get out of the house, should there be a fire, it reduces that time significantly."

The home was first inspected on Feb. 8. A city inspector found several violations. The tenants were given four days to make the home safe and livable.

"It was a short time frame because we needed that corrected, cause it was higher on the hazard, hazard list," Stemple said.

When the city inspector returned on Feb. 12 the people who live there wouldn't let him back inside. But he could see there hadn't been an attempt to clean up what the city considered a fire hazard.

The second inspection took place around 3 p.m. and the 38-year-old man was told he had until 5 p.m. to leave. At the time the man told the city inspector he was leaving for Detroit.

Shortly after 10 p.m. the house was on fire.

"Certainly in this case, this demonstrates the reason why we do some of those things," Stemple said. "The message comes out sometimes as the city is being mean by throwing these people out on the curb. We don't like to throw people out of their houses and cause turmoil in their life, but I can't go to bed at night knowing someone's sleeping in a dwelling that could cause them to lose their life."

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus