Lithium batteries ignite in Saginaw County detective's coat pocket

A couple char marks on the floor in the Saginaw County Prosecutor's Office is all that's left after lithium batteries inside a detective's coat caught fire.
By  | 

SAGINAW (WJRT) (12/7/2017) - A strange occurrence happened inside the Saginaw County Prosecutor's Office Thursday morning.

A detective was visiting the office when some lithium batteries in a coat pocket ignited while he was still wearing it. He was able to pull off the coat before receiving any injuries.

However, the small fire set off the Saginaw County Building's fire alarm system and filled the prosecutor's office with a haze of smoke. The detective and some bystanders put out the fire before firefighters arrived.

A hallway floor received minor damage.

Firefighters helped air out the prosecutor's office before it reported and business continued as usual.