Mt. Morris Township detective lays out case in 5-month-old's murder

By  | 

FLINT (WJRT) - (3/29/2018) - At just 5-months-old, Mt. Morris Township police said Jordan Algee Jr. was killed when a 19-year-old man lost his temper.

"He stated, 'I lost control, spazzed out and kicked the baby,'" Detective Brett Orvis told a district court judge Thursday.

Rico Riggs, who is dating the baby's mother, confessed to police he was mad that 23-year-old Temara Reed was talking to her ex-boyfriends.

"He had found out that they were coming over when he wasn't there," Orvis testified. "He didn't know their names. He said he found out by going through her phone."

Reed broke down in court on Thursday when she and Riggs faced a judge for the first time during their arraignment.

Orvis laid out some of the evidence police obtained in the case, allegedly showing Riggs caused little Jordan's deadly injuries and Reed tried to help cover up the crime.

The detective said Reed's confession finally came after several different accounts from the two of Sunday night at Reed's home.

"Rico was asked how Jordan got his injuries. He said he didn't know and that if anything happened it had to be the other child, Nyla. Rico went on to change his story multiple times," Orvis said.

He added Riggs even asked Reed to lie for him when police questioned her.

Police said Reed wasn't home when baby Jordan was injured. She had gone to the store to get snacks for Riggs. She left her phone at home and that's when Riggs went through it.

"He got upset and went upstairs angry," Orvis said. "That's when he spazzed out and kicked the covers, losing control. Jordan was laying in the blankets that he kicked. As soon as he kicked the covers, Jordan immediately began crying."

Orvis said the crying continued when Reed got home.

"She tried rubbing his stomach and he was screaming," Orvis said.

Reed and Riggs rushed baby Jordan to McLaren Flint hospital, where doctors initially believed he had died. They revived him and he was transported to Hurley Medical Center, where he died Sunday night.

An autopsy showed he died of blunt force trauma.

Reed and Riggs both were formally charged in court Thursday.

Riggs is facing charges of felony murder, first-degree murder, first-degree child abuse, first-degree child abuse committed when another child is present, tampering with evidence and bribing a witness .

Reed is with third-degree child abuse, tampering with evidence, lying to a peace officer and accessory after the fact to a felony.

Both of then remained in custody Thursday evening after their arraignments.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus