Owosso woman charged with shooting 2 women in Chesaning

SAGINAW COUNTY (WJRT) - (12/05/18) - An Owosso woman is charged with attempted murder and gun charges after a Tuesday night shooting in Chesaning.

Wednesday afternoon a Saginaw County District Court judge formally charged Sherry Mandel, 56, with two counts of assault with intent to murder and two counts of felony firearm. The most serious charge carries a maximum penalty of life in prison.

Saginaw County Sheriff Office investigators believe Mandel shot a 49-year-old woman and 50-year-old woman at a home in the 800 block of S. Front Street.

Sheriff Bill Federspiel said investigators believe Mandel previously had a relationship with the 50-year-old woman. "We believe that there was a relationship between the suspect and one of the victims and that that relationship may have ended or been in the process of ending. And that the suspect did not want that to happen," he said.

At last check the 50-year-old woman was in stable condition and the 49-year-old woman was in critical condition.

Mandel was also shot, but was well enough to be transferred from the hospital to jail before appearing in court.

Federspiel said Mandel arrived at the home with a handgun. Investigators believe she planned to harm someone.

Mandel was shot during a struggle for the gun, which gave the women time to get out of the home.

A neighbor said his mother and sister heard the original gunshot and looked outside. "One of the women was standing right here in the driveway, there's actually still blood and blood up on the porch too, and she was like, 'please help, she's shooting us'," he said.

One of his family members called 911 just before 8:40 p.m.

"And then another gun shot went off so she ran in and got my nephews and got upstairs," the neighbor said.

Federspiel credits three police officers with helping get the women medical care quickly. He said a detective who lives in Chesaning and has a county vehicle responded from his home.

"One of my detectives and a State Trooper and a St. Charles officer heroically went to their aide, scooped them up literally, physically carried them back to our detectives pickup truck and he transported them down to the waiting medical units," Federspiel said.

Federspiel said Mandel remained in the home for a short time before surrendering.

Bethany Turk, who lives across the street, said they weren't sure what was going on. "We were all ducked down in our windows, we were like ducked down, we turned all the lights off, you know we didn't know if there was an active shooter in the area," she said.

What unfolded Tuesday night was still settling in Wednesday afternoon.

"I was shocked, I mean this does not happen in these smaller communities. It's kind of eye opening that, you know violence can be anywhere at any time," said John Bolf, who was visiting Chesaning from St. Charles.

The judge set a $1 million bond for Mandel. She's scheduled to be back in court in mid-December.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus