Police: Flint man admits to kicking 5-month-old Mt. Morris Township boy

By  | 

MT. MORRIS TOWNSHIP (WJRT) (3/29/2018) - Police say a 19-year-old Flint man admitted to kicking a 5-month-old boy in a fit of rage, causing injuries that led to the boy's death.

Rico Riggs became enraged when he found out the boy's mother, 23-year-old Temara Reed of Mt. Morris Township, was sending text messages to ex-boyfriends, according to authorities.

The boy was identified Thursday as Jordan Algee Jr.

Riggs is the "significant other" to Reed, but not her boyfriend. Police say both of them lied to investigators on multiple occasions during interviews seeking information about Algee's injuries.

The Genesee County Prosecutor's Office filed the following charges Thursday against Riggs and Reed:

-- Felony murder.
-- First-degree child abuse.
-- First-degree child abuse committed in the presence of another child.
-- Tampering with evidence.
-- Intimidating witnesses.

-- Tampering with evidence.
-- Lying to a police officer conducting a violent crime investigation.
-- Being an accessory after the fact to a felony.
-- Third-degree child abuse.

Riggs faces a mandatory sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole if he is convicted of the most serious charges.

“The investigation has lead us to Rico Riggs as the person who inflicted these injuries and caused the baby’s death. The mother has also been charged as an accomplice after the fact and for attempting to thwart the lawful police investigation,” Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton said. “We are working diligently to see that justice is served in this heart wrenching case.”

Reed brought Algee to McLaren Flint hospital on Sunday while he was having difficulty breathing and she heard a popping sound inside him. Doctors there initially believed Algee had died, but they were able to revive him.

He later was transferred to Hurley Medical Center, where doctors pronounced him dead Sunday night.

Mt. Morris Township Police Lt. Matthew Lasky said an autopsy showed Algee died of blunt force trauma to his internal organs. Police classified the case as a homicide.

Riggs and Reed were scheduled to appear before a judge in 67th District Court for arraignment Thursday afternoon.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus