Flint and Saginaw Fourth of July fireworks shows canceled for 2020
(6/12/2020) - Fourth of July will be a bit less festive in Flint and Saginaw this summer after organizers decided to cancel the cities' fireworks shows.
The Flint Institute of Music and the Flint Downtown Development Authority announced the cancellation Friday of the annual concert and fireworks show at Atwood Stadium.
They cited Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's orders, which limit outdoor gatherings to 250 or fewer people. Flint Institute of Music President and CEO Rodney Lontine said that means the show can't go on as planned.
“FIM and our friends at the Flint DDA are committed to keeping everyone safe," he said. "We are looking at the possibility of holding an outdoor concert sometime later in the year if restrictions limiting outdoor gatherings of larger groups are lifted, and all other requirements for safely presenting a concert can be met.”
The nonprofit Saginaw Area Fireworks organization, which stages the show annually, announced earlier this week that they would not be lighting the fireworks from the traditional location on Ojibway Island.
They hoped to find another suitable venue, but ultimately decided Friday to cancel the fireworks altogether. So Saginaw will not have a public fireworks display on Fourth of July in 2020.
Last summer, organizers said they spend about $125,000 staging the fireworks show every year and draw an audience of about 125,000 people.
Saginaw is the latest Great Lakes Bay Region city to cancel fireworks amid coronavirus worries this summer. Bay City's three-day fireworks festival over Fourth of July also has been called off entirely.