Shiawasse County detective shaken up after shootout, placed on paid leave

By  | 

SHIAWASSEE COUNTY (WJRT) (1/23/2019) - The Shiawassee County sheriff detective who shot at and arrested Joshua Rosebush to end Tuesday's manhunt will be off the job for a while.

Sheriff Brian BeGole said the detective, who hasn't been identified, was placed on paid administrative leave after engaging in a shootout with 29-year-old Rosebush, who is accused of shooting a Saginaw Township police officer in the face early Tuesday.

Paid administrative leave is standard protocol for officers involved in police-action shootings. BeGole said the detective will remain on paid leave until the investigation is complete.

He said the detective is shaken up and holding his family close after surviving what he believes was a near-death experience.

Police from at least three counties spent 11 hours searching for Rosebush after he allegedly shot Officer Jeff Koenig around 2:15 a.m. on Tittabawassee Road near Bay Road in Saginaw County's Kochville Township.

After the shooting, Rosebush allegedly ditched the pickup truck he was driving, stole another from the St. Charles area, ditched that one at the Home Depot on Corunna Road in Flint Township and stole a white Ford commercial van from the Speedway gas station on Bristol Road at I-475.

The Shiawassee County detective spotted the white van heading west on I-69 and followed it for a while without attempting a traffic stop to wait for backup. However, Rosebush allegedly got off at the Laingsburg exit, pulled out a gun and exchanged gunfire with the detective.

The detective was alone during the gun battle and arrest of Rosebush.

Rosebush was injured in the gun battle was still being treated at an area hospital on Wednesday. The detective was not injured.

Koenig remained in critical but stable condition at University of Michigan Medical Center on Wednesday, where he was being treated for gunshot wounds to his jaw and shoulder.

An online fundraiser for Koenig started by a friend and Saginaw Township firefighter netted nearly $125,000 in about 24 hours.

As of Wednesday morning, no criminal charges had been filed against Rosebush in any of the three counties where he is accused of crimes. He remains in police custody at the hospital where he is being treated.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus