Small fire leads to evacuation at Swartz Creek Middle School

By  | 

SWARTZ CREEK (WJRT) (1/3/2019) - Students got a short day at Swartz Creek Middle School after a small fire led to an evacuation Thursday morning.

The small electrical fire in a kiln room was reported shortly after 9 a.m. Superintendent Ben Mainka said an electrical transformer malfunctioned and overheated in a closet on the south end of the building.

He said 900 students and staff safely evacuated the building within three minutes of the fire being discovered. Buses transferred everyone to the Swartz Creek High School gym by 9:15 a.m.

The Swartz Creek Area Fire Department quickly extinguished the fire before working to remove smoke from the building. The amount of electrical smoke rendered the building uninhabitable for the day.

No injuries were reported.

Buses were taking middle school students home starting at 10:30 a.m. Bus drivers were instructed to watch students and make sure they could get inside before leaving them alone.

Classes were continuing as normal at other Swartz Creek schools.

Mainka said administrators believe they will be able to have classes at the middle school again on Friday, but he would communicate with parents on Thursday evening to confirm.