Suspect in Marathon gas station shootout fired 30+ rounds from two guns

Published: Apr. 22, 2019 at 5:11 PM EDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

(4/22/2019) - The 29-year-old charged with attempted murder after Thursday's shootout at the Marathon gas station on Pierson Road emptied one gun before retrieving another from his car, police say.

The shootout left a 57-year-old grandmother in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the head.

Ade Milton is facing three counts of assault with intent to murder and three counts of using a firearm to commit a felony. He faces up to life in prison if convicted.

The intended victim, who fired several rounds back at Milton, will not face criminal charges for his actions.


Mt. Morris Township Police Chief Terence Green said the roots of the shootout go back years involving two rival groups. The groups may have been involved in a separate shooting in the city of Flint the previous weekend.

"We believe this is an ongoing feud between two groups going back two to three years prior. And, just by chance, they met up at that gas station and the gunfight ensued," Green said.

Police are investigating whether the groups are affiliated with any organized gangs.

At the Marathon station, Milton encountered a man from the rival group, who was the victim of a shooting a few years ago, and opened fire with a handgun. When that ran out of ammunition, he grabbed an assault-style rifle from his car and started shooting again while chasing the man on foot.

Green said Milton fired more than 30 rounds at the man. One of them struck the 26-year-old girlfriend of the man he was firing at. She was seated in the man's Land Rover.

Another stray bullet hit the innocent 57-year-old grandmother. Two teenagers in her car were barely injured.

"She was pumping gas at the time," Green said. "She had her two teenage grandchildren in the vehicle with her and they were narrowly struck by bullets also."

None of the more than 30 bullets Milton fired hit the man he was shooting at. That man fired back an unknown number of bullets at Milton.

Both shooters were arrested at the scene, but Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton ruled only Milton will be charged. He believes the other shooter, who was not identified, acted in self defense.

"We made the determination that the other shooter was shooting in self defense and that there was no way we were going to be able to convict that individual of any type of assaultive crime," Leyton said.

The 57-year-old remains in critical but stable condition at an area hospital. Green believes she is expected to survive, but faces a long recovery ahead.

Her family said she is a wonderful mother, grandmother and coworker. They are asking for prayers for a full recovery.

The 26-year-old woman riding in the intended target's Land Rover was treated and released at an area hospital on Thursday.

Latest News

Latest News