United Way offering assistance to federal employees affected by shutdown

By  | 

MID-MICHIGAN (WJRT) (1/8/2019) - Federal employees in Genesee and Shiawassee counties who lost their income due to the partial federal government shutdown are eligible for assistance.

The United Way of Genesee and Shiawassee Counties is working with Congressman Dan Kildee's office to provide payment assistance for federal government employees who can't pay bills due to the shutdown.

“For decades federal employees have supported the United Way of Genesee and Shiawassee Counties through annual donations. It’s only right that we should be there to support them at this time of need," said United Way CEO Jaime Gaskin.

The nonprofit is focusing on emergency needs, including food, transportation and current utility bills.

"There are many single parents, families with emergency issues or other special needs," Gaskin said. "When families live paycheck to paycheck and it unexpectedly stops, this can make it difficult to afford basic things like food, transportation and utilities.”

Federal employees who need help should call Kildee's office at 810-238-8627 or the United Way at 810-762-5834.

The United Way is requiring any federal employees seeking help to make an appointment in advance. A copy of the furlough letter, department ID and other documents will be required.