•1 (30-ounce) bag frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
• 3 scallions, thinly sliced (with 1 tablespoon reserved for garnish)
•3/4 teaspoon salt
•1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
• 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
•1/4 cup bacon bits, divided
Directions1.In a large bowl, combine potatoes, scallions, salt, and pepper.
2.In a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons oil until hot. Spread 3 cups of potato mixture evenly over bottom of skillet; press down with a spatula. Top with 1-1/2 cups cheese and 2 tablespoons bacon bits. Spread remaining potatoes on top; press down with spatula.
3.Cook 12 to 15 minutes, or until potatoes are well browned and crisp. Loosen edge of potatoes with spatula. Place a large plate upside down over skillet; carefully turn skillet upside down over plate to remove potatoes.
4.In same skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Slide potatoes from plate into skillet so uncooked side is down. Cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until potatoes are well browned and tender.
5.Slide onto serving plate. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese, reserved 1 tablespoon scallions, and remaining 2 tablespoons bacon bits. Cut into wedges and serve.
• Serve with a side of sour cream -- wow!
• If you liked this potato recipe, you'll love our casserole dish for Utah's Best Funeral Potatoes.
• Plus, make sure your friends and family get their fill of spuds with our recipe for Company Potatoes.