Disabled man hidden by caretaker in bedroom for 7 years found in filth by police

By  | 

MT. MORRIS TOWNSHIP (WJRT) - (09/11/15) - A disabled man was kept in a room hidden away for years.

Police found him in a bed covered in cockroaches and his own waste.

The woman who was supposed to be caring for him was his own sister.

Investigators tell ABC12 News it is one of the worst cases of abuse they've ever seen.

"I've never seen anyone living in this type of condition. This place is not fit for an animal," said Mt. Morris Township Police Chief Terrance Green.

That's what police officers found when they were sent to a home in Mt. Morris Township to check on a man who hadn't been seen or heard from in years.

"The officer that found him described the smell as being unbearable," Chief Green said.

It got worse when they found the 62-year-old man in his bedroom.

"The victim was covered with cockroaches and feces in a urine-soaked bed with a bewildered look on his face like 'help me," Chief Green said.

The GM retiree had suffered a leg injury, leaving him unable to walk. That's why he relied on his sister, Patsy Marshall, and her husband, Andrew Green.

Instead of caring for him, they kept him hidden in the bedroom for as long as seven years.

"He was alert and knew what was going on. He just didn't have movement of his legs," Chief Green said.

He was fed just one meal a day and couldn't get out of bed to use the bathroom.

A small TV was his only source of outside information.

He had virtually no contact with anyone one in the home, including two children who lived there.

"They basically intentionally cut him off from the outside world," Chief Green said.

Patsy Marhsall and Andrew Green are now are charged with vulnerable adult abuse and unlawful imprisonment.

Chief Green said when his officers questioned the pair, they blamed it on the victim.

The man is recovering in the hospital and will eventually be moved to an adult care facility. He told police that he's alive because they found him.

"He also told the officers several times 'thank you, thank you, saved my life,'" Chief Green said.

Police think Marshall and Green were also taking money from the man, maybe as much as tens of thousands of dollars. That could bring more criminal charges down the road.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus